Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

454 casull in rifle

Folks I have a Rossi M92 chambered in 454 casull. I’ve asked this question on several FB pages and have gotten so many varying answers. Figure I’ll ask here. I want to load Hornady 240 XTP mags for hunting. It will be fired from a lever action rifle. Should I just use Hornadys load data for pistol? Their load data for this projectile and H110 powder starts at 34.1g and max at 36.9. Their load data is for a freedom arms revolver. I’m a little worried about a fast burning pistol powder in a rifle. I don’t wanna create a bomb. I’ve got a friend that’s a smith and long range shooter. He ran everything through quick load and that program recommended 30 grains to start and 35 max. I’m worried about where to start... maybe I’m just overthinking it.... it was afterall designed with factory 454 in mind... and I have shot factory ammo through it with no issues.... so... what says you? Thanks for any input folks.

Title
    Administrator
    Factory rifles in a pistol caliber, are designed to shoot factory PISTOL loads.
    Load with book recommendations, start low and work up, and you will be fine.
    In almost every pistol caliber chambered rifle, this is the design. You can use the slower powders or slowest powder for a pistol, and squeeze a little more velocity out of the rifle, and do it with an easier pressure curve.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim300Win View Post
    Folks I have a Rossi M92 chambered in 454 casull. I’ve asked this question on several FB pages and have gotten so many varying answers. Figure I’ll ask here. I want to load Hornady 240 XTP mags for hunting. It will be fired from a lever action rifle. Should I just use Hornadys load data for pistol? Their load data for this projectile and H110 powder starts at 34.1g and max at 36.9. Their load data is for a freedom arms revolver. I’m a little worried about a fast burning pistol powder in a rifle. I don’t wanna create a bomb. I’ve got a friend that’s a smith and long range shooter. He ran everything through quick load and that program recommended 30 grains to start and 35 max. I’m worried about where to start... maybe I’m just overthinking it.... it was afterall designed with factory 454 in mind... and I have shot factory ammo through it with no issues.... so... what says you? Thanks for any input folks.
    Here's Hodgdons load data. I'd back off on the charge to start with. Otherwise you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    If you stick with published load data the round will be safe in both a pistol and a rifle. You may find a slower burning power will produce a little more velocity out of a rifle and a bigger muzzle flash out of a pistol. Just the nature of the beast.

If you wanted to dig into it more....

When the load data is developed the Test barrels are tighter (cut at SAAMI min) then typical, and is not vented. This generates pressures that are a tad higher then what a typical production rifle produces. If a max load is safe for a rifle it will be just find for a pistol.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim300Win View Post
    I’ve got a puma 92 in 454. I love it. I shoot 260gr partitions (discontinued unfortunately) and 300gr hornady xtp out of it. For both I have used the pistol data out of the manuals, with no troubles at all. You are good to go buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I had a LSI/Rossi chambered in 454Casull. It was all stainless with a 16" bbl.
    Couple things - - -> The 454Casull is a high pressure cartridge. Especially in it's small primer configuration. IIRC . . . 65K psi. The 92 action is much stronger than a 94 action. An EXTREMELY low charge of H110 is dangerous. ( Obviously a large charge is also.) Those 240gr Mags are a good bullet and will hold together at "highway" speeds.
    Outta my gun I shot CBP 265gr WFNGC's at close to 2000fps. They were devastating on both hogs and the bambi sized deer down here. I also shot the CBP 335's and 360's. I believe both were WFNGC also. Possibly WLNGC. Anyway all shot extremely good. All were hardcast also. I would not hesitate to use the 360's on Alaskan moose,black bear,and under the right circumstances possibly brown and grizz.
    My "theory" was. If you want to load a 454Casull down,buy a 45LC. I shot only max doses of H110 outta my gun.
    But . . . when you start approaching 60K psi the little Rossi's stomp the proverbial shit outta ya. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Couple things - - -> The 454Casull is a high pressure cartridge. Especially in it's small primer configuration. IIRC . . . 65K psi. The 92 action is much stronger than a 94 action. An EXTREMELY low charge of H110 is dangerous. ( Obviously a large charge is also.) Those 240gr Mags are a good bullet and will hold together at "highway" speeds.
    Outta my gun I shot CBP 265gr WFNGC's at close to 2000fps. They were devastating on both hogs and the bambi sized deer down here. I also shot the CBP 335's and 360's. I believe both were WFNGC also. Possibly WLNGC. Anyway all shot extremely good. All were hardcast also. I would not hesitate to use the 360's on Alaskan moose,black bear,and under the right circumstances possibly brown and grizz.
    My "theory" was. If you want to load a 454Casull down,buy a 45LC. I shot only max doses of H110 outta my gun.
    But . . . when you start approaching 60K psi the little Rossi's stomp the proverbial shit outta ya. --- SAWMAN
    That’s the same one I’ve got. 16” stainless. Great little rifle. I’ve never shot a deer with it but have put the hurt on a bunch of hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    As previously stated: Those pistol caliber rifles are designed for average Joe to walk into a gun store and secure what ammo is on hand. You’ll be fine with pistol load data.

I dont have a 454, but I do sometimes shoot it in my 15inch 460 S&W T/C Encore pistol barrel. That’s as close as I can get to rifle barrel length 454. I have no problem with factory ammo. I haven’t reloaded 454 yet as I am still unloading the 454 factory ammo for the brass.
    Last edited by Brandon Salyer; 10-31-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I appreciate the input folks! Kinda figured I was just over thinking it. Just wanted to be safe.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I’m all about getting as much as I can as long as I can keep accuracy lol